Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Five Favourite Fall Recipes From My Book

Now that the crisp nights and cooler days are here, we've started to enjoy some of our favourite fall recipes - the comforting soups, stews and casseroles that we wouldn't contemplate eating in the middle of a summer heat wave but that we eagerly embrace once the temperatures start to drop. Here are five of the recipes from my book that I'm happy to be making again:

Pork and Apple Stew (p. 156)

We're still waiting for some local apples, with fingers crossed. The apple crop was badly damaged this year by a late spring frost and I don't yet know how the pick-your-own farm we always go to has fared. Aside from a fresh-off-the-tree apple, this stew is one of the dishes I most look forward to at the start of apple season. It's such a family favourite that heated arguments have been known to break out over who gets the last bit of stew in the bottom of the pot :)

Spicy Peanut and Tomato Soup (p. 163)
 
I find some people are hesitant to try this recipe, with its combination of peanut butter, tomatoes and spices. I hope you'll give it a try, though - everyone I know so far that's tried it has raved about it. It's also one of the quickest and easiest to prepare recipes in my book, perfect for a night when you need to get dinner on the table ASAP! I usually serve this with a hot pan of cornbread on the side.

Apple and Bacon Baked Beans (p. 177)
Yep, more apples! This spin on the traditional baked beans is always greeted with enthusiasm. It also makes a large potful, so it's one of the few dishes for which I can bank on having leftovers (and they taste even better the next day!)

Moroccan Chickpea Stew (p. 159)
Another quick-fix dish, its combination of chickpeas and vegetables in a spicy tomato sauce is surprisingly satisfying.

Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie (p. 173)


My spin on the classic comfort food! I think I'm going to have to start doubling this recipe as my two ravenous teen boys would happily polish the whole thing off themselves.

What are some of your favourite fall dishes?

Reminder for local readers: If you're reading this in your email or news feed, I wanted to make sure all my local readers know about my upcoming book signing and presentation. It's TONIGHT at 7 p.m., at the Westdale branch of the Hamilton Public Library. I'll have copies of my book available to purchase for $15. I hope some of you will be able to join me!  

Love what you read here? Find out how you can help support this blog. 

Want to stay connected in between blog posts?

Click HERE to follow me on Twitter

Click HERE to like Abundance on a Dime on Facebook and get updates and tips on living frugally

Click HERE to like Cheap Appétit on Facebook and get updates and tips on frugal eating and cooking

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails