Wednesday, May 11, 2011

RECIPE ROUNDUP: Spring & Summer Salads

I've gained a lot of new readers in the past year, so I thought I'd start hilighting some of the posts you may have missed if you've just joined me recently. Since spring has finally made it to Southern Ontario (thank goodness!) I'm going to kick things off with a roundup of some of our favourite warm-weather salads. 

It's easy to vary the type of beans and vegetables in this salad to use what you have on hand and what's in season.

There is rarely any of this salad left at the end of a meal; I often toss in a handful of freshly chopped herbs from the garden.

Quite possibly my favourite way to eat broccoli!


Barley makes a great base for a salad with its satisfying, chewy texture. I particularly like it with the southwestern flavours featured in this recipe.


This makes a big batch and keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator. There is usually a bowl of this salad in our fridge throughout most of the summer - I can't believe I don't have a picture of it!!

This is my go-to salad when I want something a bit fancier looking for company. It's always a big hit whenever I serve it!

Do you have a tried-and-true salad that you serve often in warmer weather? Please share!

2 comments:

  1. We do a garden pea, thinly sliced cauliflower and thinly sliced radish with (homemade) ranch dressing. And, of course, bean salad.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a cole slaw with red and green cabbage, shredded carrot and a sweet honey mustard dressing made with Vegenaise mayo. (I try to not eat eggs unless they are from happy chickens, and the kind in Hellman's/Best Foods or Kraft are definitely not happy!) I use a local honey from my farmer's market and if I make it pretty sweet, my salad-averse son will actually eat it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails