Friday, April 15, 2011

A Homemade Easter

After weeks of feeling like it would never arrive, Easter is just a little over a week away - meaning it's time I finalized my game plan for this year's festivities.

Here's a rundown of what I'll be making to celebrate this year:

Easter treats:



I made these last year, and they were a HUGE hit with everyone. I don't imagine there will be an Easter anytime soon where I won't be making these! These eggs will form the centrepiece for our Easter goody baskets, and I'll fill in around the edges with a couple of store bought treats. Even though my boys are 11 and 13, they still love a good Easter egg hunt, so I'll need to pick up some of the small foil eggs for hiding.


Easter breakfast:


Homemade hot cross buns are an absolute requirement at my house. I've been making this recipe for years and it wouldn't be Easter without them. Orange juice, coffee and fruit round out the meal (with lots of chocolate on the side, of course!)

Lunch:
I always keep my lunches light on holidays so we have plenty of room for the big meal later on. Sandwiches, fruit and sliced veggies are our usual fare. I'm going to make a big pitcher of Sweet Tea, some of which we may have with lunch, but I'll save the majority for when the dinner guests (my dad, his partner, and my Nan) arrive later in the afternoon.

Dinner:
Roast turkey with stuffing
Turkey gravy
Baked ham
Mashed potatoes
Roasted asparagus (if I can find some that's grown in North America!), otherwise I'll do green beans instead
Carrots in honey butter
Whole wheat rolls (made from Whole Wheat Refrigerator Dough)

If I don't feel too frazzled by all the food prep, I may have a go at folding these Easter bunny napkins to grace our dinner table.

Dessert:


Pavlova has become our traditional Easter dessert and in my opinion it's the perfect taste-of-spring finish for the big holiday meal! Of course, I always like to have a little chocolate something-or-other as another option. This year I'm going to give these Coconut-Fudge Bars a try.

What special treats are you making for Easter? Please share your recipes and links!

1 comment:

  1. I love hot cross buns, and wonder why I do not make them more often, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails