Okay, okay, this is the second pancake recipe I've posted in the past couple of weeks. What can I say? I love breakfast! And being the frugalista that I am, I love that it's easy to make a really impressive breakfast dish for very little cost. This one is nice enough for guests - it can even do double-duty as a simple dessert with some ice cream and caramel sauce on top!
Ingredients:1/4 cup butter
3-4 medium apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup flour
3 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup sugar
- In a 9 x 13” glass baking dish or two 9” pie plates, melt the butter in oven heated to 425°F.
- Peel and slice apples; arrange apple slices in a single layer on top of melted butter.
- Place flour in a medium bowl. Beat together egg yolks, milk and almond extract; whisk into flour until well combined.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter; spread evenly over top of apple slices.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pale golden brown on top.
- Loosen edges with knife and invert onto serving plate (if making in a 9x13” dish, I find it easier to cut into slices first, then invert each individual slice onto a dessert plate).
I shared this recipe at Recipe Swap Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Fat Camp Friday, Friday Favorites, the GCC Recipe Swap and Sweets for a Saturday.