Wednesday, March 23, 2011

RECIPE: Upside-Down Apple Oven Pancake


Okay, okay, this is the second pancake recipe I've posted in the past couple of weeks. What can I say? I love breakfast! And being the frugalista that I am, I love that it's easy to make a really impressive breakfast dish for very little cost. This one is nice enough for guests - it can even do double-duty as a simple dessert with some ice cream and caramel sauce on top!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
3-4 medium apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup flour
3 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup sugar

Instructions:
  • In a 9 x 13” glass baking dish or two 9” pie plates, melt the butter in oven heated to 425°F.
  • Peel and slice apples; arrange apple slices in a single layer on top of melted butter.
  • Place flour in a medium bowl. Beat together egg yolks, milk and almond extract; whisk into flour until well combined.
  • In a large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue beating until soft peaks form.
  •  Gently fold egg whites into batter; spread evenly over top of apple slices.
  •  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pale golden brown on top.
  •  Loosen edges with knife and invert onto serving plate (if making in a 9x13” dish, I find it easier to cut into slices first, then invert each individual slice onto a dessert plate).
Serves 8.

I shared this recipe at Recipe Swap Thursday Full Plate ThursdayFrugal Food Thursday, Fat Camp Friday, Friday Favorites, the GCC Recipe Swap and Sweets for a Saturday.

10 comments:

  1. wow, you're trying to make me hungry, aren't you? This looks fabulous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through a mutual blogger. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That apple pancake looks wonderful! I bet it would be so yummy cooked in a cast iron skillet! I wish I had some right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Every time I look at the picture I want to make it again, lol. It's one of those high-return-for-low-investment recipes (both time and money wise!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple pancakes are my girls' favorite for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds wonderful - especially with the almond flavouring. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this pancake and I can't wait to try it out. The upside down is so neat! Great recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, this upside down cake looks so darn delicious! Thanks for sharing. You have a lovely blog and I'm so glad to have found it. I'm looking forward to checking out more of your recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, that just look fabulous! This is definitely a breakfast to impress. I'd like to invite you to stop by and link it up to Sweets for a Saturday #10. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I think the addition of almond extract probably makes this super.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails