Thursday, February 3, 2011

Make It From Scratch: Old-Fashioned Butterscotch Pudding


I don't know about you, but in the dead of winter I start craving the comfort of old-fashioned desserts. Puddings are high on my list because they are quick to prepare and provide near-instant gratification (if you're the sort of person who likes to eat pudding warm). I don't care for commercially prepared butterscotch puddings (either ready-to-eat or from a mix) but I adore this homemade version. It's a delicately-flavoured and not-too-sweet pudding; my older son would be quite happy to eat this every day if given the opportunity!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup light (10%) cream
1 egg
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Instructions:

In a medium saucepan, mix together the brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the milk and cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to thicken.

In a small bowl, beat the egg. Add about 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture to the egg and mix well. Pour the egg mixture back into the pot and continue to stir constantly until mixture thickens.

Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla, stirring until well blended and butter is completely melted.

Pour into serving dishes. Serve warm or chilled as you prefer.

Serves 4.

I shared this recipe at Full Plate Thursday, the GCC Recipe Swap, Friday Favorites, Fat Camp Friday and Sweets for a Saturday.

8 comments:

  1. We make homemade chocolate pudding fairly often, but have been looking for a butterscotch. We love it warm, too. I have a recipe for a peanut butter one that we liked. I'm thinking layers here, with real whipped cream.... 'Scuse me, I'm going to make pudding.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    This pudding reminds me of my Mother, she made the best Butterscotch Pudding. Your recipe looks delicious and we are sure going to enjoy it here today. Thank you so much for sharing it with us here at Full Plate Thursday. You have a great week end and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a nice change from chocolate pudding. It looks so creamy. I have a sweet treat linky on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your pudding up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Karen - peanut butter pudding sounds awesome - care to share your recipe?
    @Helen - I love how certain foods connect us so strongly to our loved ones, I hope this tastes like your memories :)
    @Lisa - I'm a huge chocoholic and I actually prefer this to chocolate pudding ::grin:: Thanks for the invite to your link up, I'll definitely stop buy and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been making chocolate pudding but I have to admit that butterscotch has always been my favorite. I'm definitely trying this homemade version! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mu husband LOVES butterscotch anything, gonna have to put this on my list :) I am having my first give away, hop on over to enter.
    mickey
    http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-first-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, you are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week 2-10-11. You can stop by and pick up your Red Plate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Sounds delicious! I make two separate recipes for homemade chocolate pudding. One with eggs that I use for pies and one without eggs that I just eat as pudding (warm is best served ladled over hot homemade biscuits which we call "Pudding -n- Biscuits". :)

    I can't wait to try this butterscotch pudding. I bet that would make a quick easy pie also!

    Thanks for posting this! Can't wait to try it out. I've been making my own homemade brown sugar and I bet it will work perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails