Tuesday, September 14, 2010

RECIPE: Pork & Apple Stew


I've been working my way through my stockpile of 99-cents-a-pound pork roast. I wanted something new and came up with this stew, which is officially a new family favourite! The bacon fat definitely adds a deliciously distinctive flavour if you have some on hand; if not olive oil will work just fine, too.

Ingredients:

1 lb pork roast, cut into 1" chunks
1-2 tbsp bacon fat or olive oil
3 small onions, cut into large chunks
3 medium carrots, cut into 1" chunks
6 smallish potatoes, cut into large chunks
2 medium apples, chopped

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Instructions:

In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan, cook pork chunks in fat for a couple of minutes until they are browned on all sides (they won't be cooked all the way through). Add the onions, carrots, potatoes and apples, stirring to make sure they get well coated with fat. Add a bit more fat at this point if needed to keep things from sticking to the bottom of the pot! Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften (about 5-10 minutes). Add the butter and stir until it's completely melted. Sprinkle the flour over the meat and vegetable mixture, stirring until all the flour is well coated with fat (this prevents lumps from forming in the sauce!) Slowly add 1 cup of chicken stock while stirring constantly. Stir in the dry mustard, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook,stirring occasionally, for about 45-60 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are very tender. You may need to add more stock during cooking to prevent the stew from getting too dry (if you run out of stock, just add some water). Ladle into bowls and serve. Makes 4 servings.

I shared this recipe at Tasty Tuesday, the GCC Recipe Swap, and Friday Favorites.

3 comments:

  1. Please send some of that .99 cents a pound pork over here! I have been waiting for it to go on sale forever because my Mother In Law wants me to make some Carnitas tacos for her. The strange thing is that It used to go on sale at least once a month at that price. Go figure!
    That recipe looks awesome tho and if and when pork goes on sale again I will make that one for sure!

    Oh, by the way, I did finally post my Free Gifts In a Jar e-book you were waiting for yesterday. I made it a downloadable PDF too. I hope you have your surplus canning jars ready! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pork only goes on sale at that price 2-3 times a year around here. I buy 10-15 lbs each time it does, divide it into meal-sized portions and freeze it. I think I bought this stuff back in April and it's nearly gone so I'm hoping it'll be on again soon!

    I did see that your gifts in a jar post was up, thanks for letting me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had this before. But it does look good, and I love that pork roast is in the recipe! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails