Tuesday, September 28, 2010

RECIPE: Chicken and Vegetable Coconut Curry


Coconut milk is one of favourite ingredients and it makes a wonderful base for a mild curry sauce. This recipe is very versatile; you can use whatever veggies you have on hand (I like to make sure there are at least 2-3 different colours so it looks pretty - obviously I used peas instead of green beans in the photo) You can use almost any type of meat as well - I've used diced sausage, ground beef and leftover turkey in place of the chicken. Substituting chickpeas for the meat makes a satisfying vegetarian version of this dish.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp canola or other light vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 sweet potato, cut into 1/2" chunks
1 13 oz can coconut milk
1 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp soy sauce
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
1 cup frozen green beans
2 cups diced cooked chicken (leftover roast chicken is perfect!)

Hot cooked rice

Instructions:

In a large skillet, saute onion, garlic and red pepper in oil until tender. Add sweet potato, coconut milk, ginger, curry, soy sauce, lime juice, salt, pepper, green beans and chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender and sauce has thickened. Serve over rice. Makes 4 servings.

I shared this recipe at Tasty Tuesday, the GCC Recipe Swap, and Friday Favorites.

5 comments:

  1. That seriously looks like something that my Indonesian Mother In Law would cook. methinks that I need to show her this recipe to make for us. I love coconut milk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through links! Love your blog!
    If you ever need new recipes or want to be featured..than please come become a follower to see daily updates and email us if you would like us to feature you!!!

    Please feature this.. looks so tasty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this for dinner tonight; I LOVED it and so did my husband! I love that I can use any type of veggie or meat in this, and appreciate the chickpea tip, too. Good cold-weather recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rose: you'll have to let me know what your MIL thinks :)
    @Envy My Cooking: thanks! Emailed you.
    @Mycsashare: So pleased you and your hubby enjoyed it, it really is a fabulously versatile dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting dish! Looks good! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails