Tuesday, June 29, 2010

RECIPE: Pulled Pork Sandwiches

This is a great dish to make for a crowd - it can stretch a modest amount of meat into quite a few servings! I make this when pork roast goes on sale for 99 cents a pound.

1 1/2 - 2lbs pork roast
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 ribs celery, finely diced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
3 cups water

In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, saute onion, garlic and celery in olive oil until they start to soften. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hrs or until meat is tender and can be easily shredded with a fork. Remove roast to a large bowl and shred using 2 forks. Return shredded meat to pot with sauce and simmer until meat is heated through. Serve on hamburger or kaiser buns.

Pictured here on homemade hamburger buns using Whole Wheat Refrigerator Dough, with Colourful Cabbage Salad on the side.

This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, the GCC Recipe Swap, Foodie Friday, Friday Feasts and Friday Favorites.

8 comments:

  1. I love pulled pork! This looks delicious. Following from TMTT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to try this one. Thanks! My family (esp my oldest son and husband) love all things pork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I have been craving pulled pork. This recipe looks and sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's some lovely flavours in your pulled pork recipe - and it looks delicious in the picture. Great comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ingredient list for this recipe looks fabulous. I'm planning to give this a try. And a belated Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good and I don't like cabbage, but my husband does so I will have to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pulled pork! It's one of my favorite foods. I may have to try your recipe some time.

    Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came back to let you know that I'll be featuring you in tonight's post. Come by and grab my "featured" button if you'd like one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails