Friday, June 4, 2010

Food Waste Friday: Zero Waste with a Bit More Effort

I managed to pull off another zero-waste week, but unlike last week's seemingly effortless achievement, this time I worked a lot harder for it!
My fridge was really full at the end of last week, so I had to pay a lot more attention this week to what needed to be used up or frozen before it became a science experiment. I had half a roast turkey left over from my birthday dinner on Sunday, so I chopped and froze the remaining meat from the bird, then made turkey stock to put in the freezer. I also froze the leftover pan drippings from the turkey so I can use it to make gravy in the future.

I had half a batch of lentil dal that I knew needed to be used up ASAP, so on Wednesday night I decided to try making lentil burgers with it. This was more successful than I expected (all four of us thought they were very tasty!) so I'll be sharing that recipe soon.
There were other assorted bits and pieces that we managed to polish off as well, I can't even remember what they all were now!
Even after all that effort, the fridge seems to have started filling back up again, so I'll need to do another in-depth investigation in a couple of days to see what else is calling out for urgent consumption.

To see how others fared this week in their quest to reduce food waste, head on over to The Frugal Girl.

Just in case you missed my announcement earlier this week, I'm running a giveaway for a $40 gift certificate from CSN Stores (which can be used at any of their 200+ online stores). You have up until Saturday night at 9 PM Eastern to enter, so go check it out! The contest is open to all my Canadian and U.S. readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails