Friday, June 18, 2010

Food Waste Friday: Back to Zero Again!

I'm pleased to report that I'm back to zero waste again this week.I managed to save a couple of items from ending up in the compost by making a batch of muffins using the Universal Muffin Recipe from the Complete Tightwad Gazette. This is a very handy recipe to pull out when you have a few odd bits of things lurking in the fridge that need to be used up ASAP. In my case, I had about 1/2 cup or so of crushed pineapple left over from another recipe (and no yogurt to stir it into) and a couple of egg whites left over from making Boiled Dressing (I think I might try this recipe with one whole egg rather than 2 yolks to see how it turns out, otherwise I may be making a whole lot of meringues this summer!) I also had a couple packages of frozen grated zucchini left from last summer, and really wanted to get those used up, too. So I decided to make Zucchini Pineapple Muffins using the universal muffin recipe. They turned out quite tasty (although they would have been even better if I had remembered to add some spices to them; I realized I hadn't put any in right after I stuck them in the oven).

I bought another bag of 5 avocados on sale for $2.50 this week, so keep your fingers crossed for me and hopefully I'll manage to use them all up this time! I also have a whole lot of lettuce, spinach and arugula in my veggie garden that is starting to bolt, so I'll need to be vigilant about using that up, too.


To see how others fared with their food waste this week, head on over to The Frugal Girl for the weekly roundup of food waste reports.

1 comment:

  1. If the avocados start to go south on you, mash them up and put them in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails