Friday, May 16, 2008

RECIPE: Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie

I was recently inspired to "spice up" one of my favourite comfort foods. The day I created this dish, it received rave reviews from my whole family. I'll be making this one often!

Time: under 60 minutes
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:

6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp canola oil
1 lb ground beef, chicken or turkey
3/4 cup salsa
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
19 oz can corn, drained
1/2 cup sour cream
milk (as needed)
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Preparation:

1. Boil potatoes until tender (about 20 minutes).

2. While potatoes are cooking, in a medium frying pan, saute the onions and garlic in oil until they start to soften. Add ground meat and cook until no trace of pink remains.

3. Add salsa, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and corn. Cook until hot and bubbly.

4. When potatoes are done, drain well and add sour cream. Mash until smooth (add a bit of milk if needed to get desired consistency).

5. Pour meat mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over top.

6. Sprinkle with grated cheese and place under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly (5-10 minutes)

2 comments:

  1. This is what I call the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Yes, I guess it is! It's certainly a very popular dish at my house :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails